Tuesday 22 September 2009

Jasper Johns


Probably my favourite artist of all time. I cannot get enough of Johns' iconography. It is so simple. He literally stuck too fingers up to Abstract Art and chose the most mundane subject matter for his works. Yet the pieces are so entertaining, with so much to look. Anyone who makes the American flag look interesting is a genius as far as Im concerned.














I think his attitude towards art shows a huge amount of confidence in his own ability. "Abstraction indicates a departure from reality in depiction of imagery in art"...Johns' did not need this departure from the norm, his skill with the paintbrush was enough to interest an onlooker. His link with Pop Art is the popular objects he often used; maps, flags, targets and numbers, but his style is ultimately unique.


This piece, 'The Map' (1961) demonstrates what Johns' was trying to achieve. He uses the 50-State map of America...about as boring as it gets. But he covers the boredom with big, bold, bright strokes that essentially represent a sense of fun. His style contrasts with the subject. 
'0 through 9' is part of my favourite series within his work. Again, such a simple set of features but he makes them look fantastic. I love the heavy brushstokes, if ever I paint it's in this styles. He also does them in charcoal and these are my favourite works. The striking highlights, the curved shapes against the harsh block shading and the rough finish create my ideal piece of art, as seen below. Simple but so effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment