Monday 28 September 2009

The Maasai









In 2006, I was lucky enough to go on a two week safari in the Maasai Mara. If ever there was an inspirational setting, the Mara is it. For me at least, anyway. The whole experience got under my skin and it has turned into a mild obsession for me since. The infinite landscape, the enormous skies and the abundance of wildlife combined to be the most breathtaking adventure of my life. And I could only imagine that the people that inhabited such a magical place, had to be pretty special themselves...
The Maasai tribe are very well known in Western culture, yet they haven't adopted a single aspect of our lifestyle but remain completely indigenous. Their lives revolve around progressive rituals and their prized cattle.
I was very privileged to visit a Maasai village when I was out in the Mara and even witness a wedding ceremony. We drove along dirt tracks, over the rolling plains, passing endless herds of wildebeest and zebra. The scene is beautiful and gigantic but everything is fairly bland, dry and desolate. Then we approached a small cluster of mud huts, "enkaji" and suddenly see a festival of colour. The bright red cloaks and abundance of multi-coloured beads encircling their heads and necks would stand out anywhere. Groups of them were springing up and down, jumping higher then I could on a trampoline! Women were signing and clapping in such fantastic rhythm, that you couldn't help but dance with them. And they invited you to do so. For people who demand their young teenage sons venture out into the wild and forbid them to return without killing a lion with only a spear, they were very friendly! I watched them for about four hours, mesmerized by their athleticism and humbled by their beaming smiles. They are fantastic people. And skillful. The rugs and beaded jewellry they make is gorgeous, as you can see from images above. The vivid colours are fantastic. I love this style, especially in interior design. And considering my interest in interior design, I love to see entire rooms dedicated to this African style.
I love african art that depicts the Maasai and have a number of prints, some authentic. They always portray the elegance of the people and their simple beauty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment