Wednesday 30 September 2009

Words are Pictures


I love the concept that, in design, words are not just words when used correctly. They can be used as such a powerful communication tool to get your message across. I entitled this post "words are pictures" because it illustrates how broad the spectrum of possibilities is when using typography. Letters can become shapes, words can becomes pictures...
I stumbled across this website where you can create your own "word cloud". It's a very simple method and requires very little skill other than choosing the layout, palette, font etc. But it is an example of how a little imagination can go a long way to making a message or block of text a lot more interesting and, thus more likely to catch peoples attention. With a word cloud, I think the idea is to have words that stand out amongst other relevant words. In my attempt below, the words "design" and "words" are seen first, one through colour and the other through its size and direction of the actual text.


 created on http://wordle.net/

So many people do not realise how big the boundaries are with typography and what you can achieve with it. I did some work experience in the summer with a branding company called Nucleus. I sat in on a fresh project and was blown away by how much thought went into it before the font was even decided. How the letters look next to each other, both in upper and lower case, leading etc etc. It's extraordinary! Here are some I really like.





No comments:

Post a Comment